Saturday, March 21, 2009

Vinni Puh and more views

I grew up as a latchkey kid, where my mother expected me to come home immediately after school and (as a hermit herself) didn't like me leaving the house in general. Left predominantly on my own, I became a cartoon junkie, and even today if I have to spend time "socializing" with family in front of a television, I'd rather be watching cartoons with the kids than whatever sitcom, melodrama, or sports game the adults select.

Of course the below aren't the cartoons I grew up on, as they're all in Russian, but they are new-to-me discoveries I was recently shown. With very few exceptions, most popular cartoons today are horrid, trying to be way too trendy and relying excessively on pop culture references to lure in so-called adult audiences ($). They have such an enormous lack imagination in both narrative and style and very few people seem to be the least bit concerned, if they even notice the loss - just look at the animation of Junior and Karlson (the second one below) to see what kids are missing today with the advent of CGI and computer programmers taking the role of animation artists.



Vinni Puh Part 1 of 2
Eeyore is even more wondrously morose in Russian!




Junior and Karlson Part 1 of 2
a Swedish children's book series but a Russian cartoon




There Once Was a Dog

No comments: