Wednesday, August 29, 2007

blah, blah, blah

I guess I'll take a moment to explain myself. For the past two years I have been engrossed in an intense research phase, absorbing as much as I can on film, music, and literature, all in the hope of reawakening a soul I had sacrificed a few years prior. I will remain vague in my reasons for that sacrifice and only say that given my predicament I made the necessary wrong decisions purely for survival's sake. But having somewhat successfully overcome those obstacles I turned to the arts, mainly film, for my regeneration.

So I have been watching up to ten films a week, though lately it's only been about three, on top of reading tons of articles and commentaries but I seem to have hit a blockade. All the exhilaration that I felt in the beginning is waning along with my attention span; I'm still watching the same amount of quality films but I'm taking less from them in terms of new ideas and thoughts. I think I've finally developed the foundation I was lacking but I need to do something to push myself further. Hence the blog!

I've focused too much on the opinions of others, which is fine when you're starting out, but now it's time to really start forming my own. I'll write some about film here, but some about other things as well. My writing skills are pretty poor, mainly because I seem to be incapable of thinking coherently. I was always better at abstract expression, i.e. cryptic poetry or abstract ink drawings. But practice, practice, practice... *sigh*

Why choose to publish this work effort? Because improving my rhetoric has been a neglected goal for too long, and although I currently have no intentions of telling anyone about this blog, I think just the looming thought that someone might come across it is enough to help keep me in line. This subconscious logic only proves how much the opinions of others weighs more on me than my own. How disgustingly obsequious.


No comments: