Tuesday, January 25, 2011

. . .

It's gone. Yesterday I got off the bus at Sukhothai and absent-mindedly left my travel journal behind. The guest house owner was kind enough to call the bus station, the bus company, even acquired the phone number for the bus driver but to no avail. He made two trips to the bus station today as well and now I must come to a bitter acceptance. All my thoughts and notes from India, Nepal, Peru, and the beginning of Southeast Asia, gone. Only one other time have I misplaced a notebook, and it was due to the same reason: neglect. (I was carrying a small notebook in my back pocket at all times and had been doing so with dwindling inspiration for years, but I stopped after this sparsely used one went missing.) Again, I haven't been writing, sincerely at least, and the manifestation is departure.

I've lost and left behind so much. Death, distance, and disassociation. And now my traveling companion. I write here in remembrance of lost spaces for my words, seeking familiarity to console my solitude.

1 comment:

St. Bitch the Lesser said...

Please accept my sincere condolences. That's gotta hurt. =( I remember when I lost my "Sweet Eyes" stuffed bear (think the Downy Snuggle Bear, but with an even more muted snout) whilst on a summer road trip with the parents and was devastated. I suspect this is like that, but like many, many times worse since this was something you had produced, an extension of yourself. I’m not quite sure what to say to help assuage things, but I do hope this does not dampen further introspection or exploration for long, if at all.

By the way, I see that you read "The Master and Margarita". What did you think? The Mother absolutely adored it. I tried reading it, but it was too dense for me. The parents and I did see a play version many, many years ago, and it was incredibly entertaining. I wish I could see it again.

Apologies for not replying to your latest e-mail yet. Work has been busy, especially as I prepare for being absent, and as you likely know there was a blizzard, so it has been a strange week. I will try to respond soon. Best wishes in the meantime and stay safe!